About the P.T.O.
PTO remains a Volunteer organization at all levels: local, council, regional, state (over 100,000 members in Michigan) and national (7 million nationwide).
The Mission of the PTA is three-fold:
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children;
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children;
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
The Purposes of the PT0:
- To promote the welfare of the children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
Five Reasons to become a PT0:
- You officially become a 501 (c) (3) (non-profit organization).
- Resources: you can talk to experienced people for advice from local, state & national levels; National Catalogue: videos, books, brochures, great educational kits, etc.
- It will educate you and fill you with enthusiasm at workshops & conventions with inspiring speakers and fabulous workshops where you can network and share ideas.
- Reflections Program: 4 different age groups; 4 different categories of visual art, literature, music and photography. This year's theme is "I feel really happy when..."
- Become a Voice for ALL Children
Objectives of PT0:
- To promote the welfare of children everywhere
- To raise the standards of home life
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children
- To get more parental involvement in the schools so that teachers and parents can cooperate intelligently in the education of youth
- To unite the efforts of the general public and the schools so as to secure for children the highest advantages in physical, social, mental and spiritual education
National PTA receives $2.75, State PTA receives $1.00, and Springport PTA receives $1.25. Each member is entitled to voting privileges regarding officers, distribution of funds, fund-raising, and PTA sponsored events.
PTA develops resolutions and stands on particular issues that affect children - 7 million members have clout. PTA means more parental involvement... and ultimately a better school environment.
What all schools urgently need is an informed base of committed parents. PTA is the largest children's advocacy group in the world. They're organized, knowledgeable and they're leading the way to put children first. It's a yearly investment of a few dollars... an investment in your child's future and the future of all children. Every child - one voice.